The Queen's Baton Relay is coming to Guildford Grammar School on Monday 26 February and you and your family are invited to join us as the Baton moves through the School on its way to Stirling Gardens!
The Baton will arrive via the river at the Boat Shed at 4.53pm and will travel around the hockey turf, and through the Prep Kiss & Drop area and up to the traffic lights, before continuing along Great Eastern Highway and onto Terrace Road.
Our GGS rowers will form a welcome honour guard while the Boodjar Bidi Dancers perform, and three of our GGS music ensembles will perform along the route. The String Ensemble will perform at the Boat Shed, our New Orleans Marching Jazz Band will follow behind the Baton and the GGS Rock Band will perform near the Lych Gates on Terrace Road.
Families are invited to take a position anywhere along the route to witness this historic event.
Parking will be available in the Preparatory School car park and on the Flats. This event is being widely advertised and is open to the public. The City of Swan has provided additional security services for the afternoon.
The City of Swan has advised that rolling road closures will be in place between 4.45pm-5.15pm, as the Baton moves through the School. These closures will impact traffic on our internal roads, Great Eastern Highway and Terrace Road. Terrace Road will be closed on both sides of the road, from 4.45pm-5.30pm. Families who need to access the School during this time can access the Foundation car park entrance from Great Eastern Highway only, bearing in mind that access will only be available from the east due to the closure of Terrace Road. Vehicles will not be able to enter or exit the school via the main entrance from around 4.30pm until at least 5.15pm. The City of Swan will provide traffic management services on the day.
The late buses to Warwick, Muchea and Gidgegannup will still operate but will depart from the Preparatory School at 5.25pm and the DLD at 5.30pm.
FOR PREPARATORY SCHOOL FAMILIES
FOR SENIOR SCHOOL FAMILIES
- School will finish at the normal time
- Late sport for Year 4-6 students has been cancelled
- Out of School Care Centre will operate as normal. Parents coming and going should use the Foundation car park entrance off Great Eastern Highway.
- There is only one school club on this day, which is Danceletics. This will go ahead as planned.
- Families are welcome to stay and find a spot along the route straight from school if they wish and are responsible for supervising their own children. Alternatively families can leave after school and come back closer to the starting time, around 4.15pm.
- Junior sports training will proceed as planned
- Families who need to access the School during this time can access the Foundation car park entrance on Great Eastern Highway only, bearing in mind that access will only be available from the east due to the closure of Terrace Road.
Anyone seeking further information can visit the City of Swan's website at www.swan.wa.gov.au/qbr.