Education Services for Overseas Students

The ESOS framework
Providing quality education and protecting your rights

The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia’s laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2007.

Protection for overseas students

As an overseas student on a student visa, you must study with an education provider and in a course that can be found on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) at CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and education providers at which you study, such as Guildford Grammar School (CRICOS PROVIDER CODE 00437D), meet the high standards necessary for overseas students. When choosing an education provider, please check carefully that the details of your course - including its location - match the information on CRICOS.

Your rights

The ESOS framework protects your rights, including:
  • your right to receive, before enrolling, current and accurate information about the courses, fees, modes of study and other information from Guildford Grammar School and the School's agent. If you are under 18, to ensure your safety, you will be granted a visa only if there are arrangements in place for your accommodation, support and welfare.
  • your right to sign a written agreement with Guildford Grammar School before or as you pay fees, setting out the services to be provided, fees payable and information about refunds of course money. You should keep a copy of your written agreement.
  • your right to get the education you paid for. The ESOS framework includes consumer protection that will allow you to receive a refund or to be placed in another course if Guildford Grammar School is unable to teach the promised course.
The ESOS framework sets out the standards Australian providers offering education and training services to overseas students must meet.  These standards cover a range of information you have a right to know and services that must be offered to you, including:
  • orientation and access to support services to help you study and adjust to life in Australia
  • who the contact officer or officers is for overseas students
  • if you can apply for course credit
  • when your enrolment can be deferred, suspended or cancelled
  • what Guildford Grammar School's requirements are for satisfactory progress in the courses you study and what support is available if you are not progressing well
  • if attendance will be monitored for your course, and
  • a complaints and appeals process.
One of the standards does not allow another provider to enroll a student who wants to transfer to another course, but has not completed six months of the final course of study in Australia.  If you want to transfer before you have completed six months of your final course you need your Guildford Grammar School's permission.

Your responsibilities

As an overseas student on a student visa, you have responsibilities to:
  • satisfy your student visa conditions
  • maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your stay
  • meet the terms of the written agreement with Guildford Grammar School.
  • inform Guildford Grammar School if you change your address
  • maintain satisfactory course progress
  • follow Guildford Grammar School's attendance policy, and
  • if you are under 18, maintain your approved accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements.
Contact Details
Who Why How?
Guildford Grammar School For policies and procedures that effect you Contact the School's Registrar on (+61 8) 9377 9247 or
Department of Education and Training (DEST) For your ESOS rights and responsibilities
ESOS Helpline (+61 2) 6240 5069 or email
Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) For visa matters, Phone 131 881 in Australia or contact the DIAC Office in your country.
Citizens Advice Bureau (CABWA) For legal matters
Phone. (08) 9221 5711 in Australia
School Sick Bay Medical (08) 9377 9211
St John of God Public Hospital Emergency Medical Care
Phone 08 9462 4000
1 Clayton Street, Midland WA 6056
Emergency - Police, Fire, Ambulance For emergency situations Phone 000

AHM Insurance Overseas student insurance Charmaine Bowry
Phone: 02 4221 8307

ESOS Framework (in languages other than English)
The above framework is available in the following languages other than English:
Chinese - Simplified
Chinese - Traditional